30 Weeks

I am 30 weeks as of yesterday. 30 down, 10 to go!

For some reason this pregnancy is flying by compared to the last one. We haven't done anything to officially prepare for the baby - no baby clothes have been pulled from storage, washed, and put in the dresser; we haven't dragged the carseat out of the attic yet; we haven't pre-registered at the hospital or packed our bags; and we haven't bought the few things we know we still need, like a double stroller. I'm starting to panic but we still have 10 weeks to get our shit together.


That's me at 29-ish weeks. Forgive the obnoxious dance pose. I have 12 years of dance pictures under my belt. It cannot be helped.

Maternity Clothes: Surprisingly I'm still able to blend my maternity clothes with my pre-preg wardrobe. All my pants are maternity, but the skirt above is just a stretch cotton skirt. It works as long as I scoot the waistband below the bump. Shirts are a mix of both, mostly maternity. Pool season is upon us and I will be wearing both my maternity one-piece and my bikinis. Swimmers beware.

The biggest wardrobe difference between my pregnancies is how my clothes make me feel. First time around I wore a lot of hand-me-downs from friends and family. While there was nothing wrong with those clothes, they didn't reflect my style and I never felt like myself. This time, partly because some of my old maternity clothes were too big, I took the opportunity to pick up pieces that fit in with my pre-preg wardrobe. My rule is: if I wouldn't wear the non-maternity version of a piece of clothing, then I shouldn't have to wear it now. By sticking to my guns and not wearing freebies I feel much more confident and attractive this time around.

Cravings/Aversions: I've been craving chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Luckily for me the Harris Teeter version is decent so I don't have to make the trek out to Kilwin's to fulfill this one. My iron has been on the low side so I'm trying to eat more salads, but my cravings would prefer cheese fries. Such a conundrum. Seafood still grosses me out.

Symptoms: Heartburn and indigestion, but not as bad as the first 2 trimesters. But I still have Tums stashed everywhere, just in case. It's getting increasingly hard to get comfortable at night. My feet are a teensy bit swollen, but nothing like last time. Baby kicks are getting less cute and more painful as the little one runs out of room and those elbows have to go somewhere. I've entered the phase of baby head-butting my cervix, and the sciatic pain that follows - always fun - and I swear I had some low-grade Braxton Hicks contractions last night. Basically it's nothing earth shattering, but I get less comfortable every day. Waddling is happening.

OB Appointments: My stupid placenta still hasn't moved out of the way. It's gradually moving, and mostly out of the way, but if it doesn't move from its current position I will be having a C-Section. The midwives keep checking it every 3 weeks, so at least we're monitoring it. If a C-Section becomes a reality I can assure you there will be at least one post about me whining about that. Most of my appointments are short and sweet. I passed my glucose test and, other than the frequent ultrasounds, tests have been minimal. I'll be going every week pretty soon and I'm determined not to let them tell me any dilation/effacement numbers until I'm actually in labor. I got my head full of false hope at 37 weeks last time so this time I don't even want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment