Week 16

Nothing Earth shattering here, just some simple updates.

Yesterday I went for my 16 week appointment with my midwife. Everything looks good. Blood pressure and urine sample were normal. The heartbeat sounded strong - although it took my midwife a while to locate it. PANIC! Where did my baby go? Oh, it's still there. Whew. - around 135 bpm. My much-debated weight gain is back on track. I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I'm told one pound a week, starting in week 20, is the best way to track what's healthy.

I had lots of questions for her and she answered them all and put my mind at ease. I later felt guilty about it, but Steven assured me I'm not the only first-time mom to have a billion questions.

One of my big questions was how to prepare for the birth - should I take birthing classes? If so which method? Do I need a doula? Doulas cost how much?* In the end we decided on taking classes on The Bradley Method, which is a 12 week curriculum. My midwife said that hiring a doula will really be up to Steven. If, after attending some of our classes, he feels like he's 100% ready to be my one-and-only coach then a doula is unnecessary. However, if he breaks out in a cold sweat and doesn't think he can handle the pressure, a doula might be the way to go. I think we'll end up not needing one because my husband is one of the most focused and determined (read: not afraid to yell at me when I'm being a lazy ass) people on the planet. I have full faith that he will get me through this.

My last question was about the shingles. My midwife assured me that I would be fine as long as she didn't have any "sores, pox or lesions**" and I avoid her saliva. So no 87 year old french kissing for me. *sigh* After my appointment, I call my MIL to give her the good news and apparently the shingles are now a moot point. Grandmother was such a pain in the ass Grandpa took her back to Alabama first thing yesterday morning. So that lasted all of four days and I panicked for nothing.

In other news, I am having a great time dressing and accessorizing my mini-bump. I found out last week that if I wear blousy tops, I just look fat. But if I wear more fitted tops it reads as a bump and I come off looking cutely pregnant. So yay! I'm slowly starting to wear some maternity clothes, but I don't really need them yet. I just like wearing them because I can.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for a new bump photo on Friday!

*Hint: it's a lot.
**It sounds so much worse when you type it out like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment