September 12

So, this post is a bit of a roller coaster but it has a happy ending. Promise.

Right around the time the IFs reached back out, my mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer. She's already had surgery and looks on track for a full recovery, but at the time I was in a tailspin. Not so much emotionally, but going through the logistics of how to support her - doctor appointments, chemo treatments, surgery recovery, etc - while also working, taking care of the kids, and some semblance of housekeeping.

When I learned that my medical screen appointments would have to be in Charlotte - a 3 hour drive away - that was the last straw and I almost walked away from the match. I told the IFs I wasn't out, but that I was nervous about the time commitments between now and a January transfer and I wasn't sure I could commit to many trips back and forth to Charlotte. Graciously, they worked with their clinic and let me know we could delay the initial appointments a month or two and that some of the lab work could be done in Raleigh, which was a huge relief.

Always one to choose humor over emotion,
here's the "yay you're cancer free!" card I made for her.

Now that my mom is 3 weeks post-surgery with no need for chemo or radiation, my head is clearer and I'm back to 100% enthusiasm for the match. The IFs are both so sweet I really wanted to keep working with them. Just this week I let my attorney know we're starting up again and I scheduled my initial medical screen for October 16. I'll be driving down the night before and staying in a hotel so I won't have to rush to Charlotte the day of the appointment. The IFs want to get together for drinks after I get in and I'm so excited to meet them in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment