Convenience Foods

You know the saying "If you are what you eat then I'm cheap, fast, and easy." Well, it's true for me.

In a perfect world I would only eat home-cooked, organic meals and never rely on food that comes in a box with idiot-proof instructions. But my life isn't perfect and as a lazy person busy working mom and wife I often find myself opting for convenience foods, particularly for meals during the work day. It's not a perfect solution, but if it's that the only thing between me and a hungry family I'm reaching for it.

One of my go-to convenience foods is instant oatmeal. It's warm and filling and the perfect winter breakfast, but I like to jazz it up by adding fruit or nuts. The texture of plain oatmeal makes me gag, I'm not gonna lie. That's all fine and good but that means I have to bring my toppings, prep them, find or bring a bowl and then wash everything. Who has time for that? Not me.
image source
Enter my newest discovery, from Quaker. I had Apple Walnut (a tried and true combo) this morning but there are 3 other flavors I have yet to try. Good serving size, and the add-ins tasted fresh. The add-ins are chopped finely enough that I think a toddler would enjoy this as well. Plus no clean up! The container is recyclable, so that's always a plus when choosing easy meals.

Tell me. Do you resort to convenience foods? Or are you one of those mythical moms I've been seeing on Pinterest?

As usual no one paid or perked me for this opinion. I bought this product myself, liked it and thought you might, too.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a frugal mythical mom, who's wise enough to avoid Pinterest (but not your blog) because it sucks the life out of me. Time + Convenience = $$$. I'd rather spend that $$$ on an all-inclusive tropical beach somewhere. So I buy oatmeal & cinnamon in bulk. 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup water, 1 tsp brown sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon; 2 mins in the microwave. Voila, breakfast is served. Dishes go in the dishwasher. Cook, rise, repeat.
    Ahhh, I think I hear my cabana boy coming with my drink.

    ReplyDelete