Diaper System

Let me take a moment to tell you about our diaper situation.

When Steven and I first started planning for the baby, I was determined to use cloth diapers. He wasn't easily convinced and I knew I didn't want to fight the uphill battle of forcing him to use a system he wasn't comfortable with. He also brought up a good point - did I really want to be washing loads of diapers once I went back to work full time? I couldn't argue with that.

After some extensive research, I settled on gDiapers. You can go to their website for more information, but the gist is that gDiapers are a hybrid between cloth and disposables.



The system is made up of two parts: washable cloth 'pants' and disposable liners. Yes, yes, they have a disposable component - but it's not as bad as you think. The liner is made of only pulp and paper products, no plastics. That means the liner can be flushed in a toilet or, if you have to throw it in the garbage, it will break down in 50-100 days as opposed to however long it takes a traditional disposable diaper to decompose. But wait, it gets better. If the liner is only wet, but not dirty, the liner can be tossed in a compost bin to help provide rich nutrients for our lawn and garden.

The cloth pants require an upfront cost but the liners cost less per unit than a traditional disposable diaper.

To me, it was the perfect compromise. I get the reduced environmental impact and (some) cost savings associated with cloth diapering without the increased workload.

Of course, I haven't put them to the test yet. Once I have I'll report back and let you know if they're as great as I think they're going to be.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be honest. I've been frustrated with mine. I can't get the liner to stay put and end up with a big poopy mess everytime.

    ReplyDelete