Let's Get Caught Up, Shall We?

 As I mentioned last time, I was saving the blog for the "big" posts and everything else would be posted to my surrogacy Instagram account. But for posterity's sake, I thought I'd drop in a quick timeline on the ole blog, too.

May 26 - Transfer day, transferred 2 male embryos (1 from each IF)

June 9 - Negative beta, meaning the transfer failed

August 18 - Second transfer day, transferred 1 male and 1 female embryo (1 from each IF)


September 1 and September 3 - Positive betas, meaning the transfer was successful!

September 18 - confirmation ultrasound with RE, 2 healthy babies on board, due May 6

October 1 - second ultrasound with RE, released to my OB for the remainder of the pregnancy


October 8 - final progesterone shot, still had to take some pills but so glad to be done with shots!

October 31 - my close friends and family already knew, but I went "public" with my pregnancy and surrogacy the only way my dark sense of humor knew how... by dressing as a Handmaid for Halloween.

Yes, I made my husband put on his tux just to be my Commander for the photos. Totally worth it.

November 28 - IFs came to visit - we went out to lunch, they gave me a prenatal massage gift certificate (saving that for later), and we did a little photo shoot for their Facebook pregnancy announcement


December 7 - Level 2 ultrasound, both babies looked healthy and we confirmed we had a Boy (on my right) and a Girl (on my left). I didn't want to call them Boy and Girl or A and B, so I nicknamed them Jack and Marsha. Also learned that my due date was moved forward to April 22. Since I was carrying twins they didn't want me going past 38 weeks.

December 10 - 19 weeks, halfway there! At this point I was still feeling cute and comfortable... silly me didn't know what was to come.

February 4 - Hello third trimester! Really starting to feel uncomfortable and have trouble sleeping with all the restless legs and heartburn.


February 9 - 1 hour glucose test, which I failed.

February 11 - 3 hour glucose test, which I passed (barely).

March 19 - This is the first in a series I would later name "False Alarm Friday." Just after lunch I felt a big gush and was pretty sure my water had broken. I called the OB office and they had me go straight to the hospital. I called the IFs and put them on standby but told them not to start driving unless I got admitted to the hospital. I was put in a triage room and 5 hours later we determined my water had not broken. I didn't pee myself either, so we don't know exactly what happened other than "you're pregnant, sometimes things just leak out of you." So gross.

March 23 - Finally cashed in my massage gift certificate and it was heavenly. Until I looked at the tag on the robe they gave me - 4XL!! How rude.

March 25 - Another OB visit, another ultrasound. Jack had been low in my pelvis and head down for quite some time. Marsha had been up in my ribs and was never in the same position twice. She still had time to flip head down, but it didn't look promising.

March 26 - False Alarm number 2. I was watching TV with the family and I started having heavy contractions. I had been having Braxton Hicks for weeks, but these were strong, 30-45 seconds long, and only a few minutes apart. I called the answering service and they told me to head to the hospital. I hadn't finished packing my bag so I got up to pack and take a quick shower, which made the contractions come to a dead stop - no need to go to the hospital after all.

April 2 - False Alarm number 3. Almost identical set up as before, contractions started Friday evening after dinner and the timing suggested I head to the hospital. Gun shy from the previous false alarms, I decided to shower BEFORE I called the midwife on-call and they stopped. Again. This was getting old. Even though they didn't appear to be real labor, all the contractions were very painful.

April 8, morning - 36 week OB appointment, I had an ultrasound to check baby positions and had my first cervical check. Jack was still head down and -2 station, Marsha was sideways and still up in my ribs, cervix was 70% effaced and almost 3 cm dilated. We scheduled my induction for April 24 (38 weeks 2 days) but the OB was confident I wouldn't last that long.

April 8, evening - water broke for real!

Sorry to stop on a cliffhanger, but this is where I leave you. Up next, the birth story!

No comments:

Post a Comment