Sticks And Stones...

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but ceramic tile really effing hurts, too. Allow me to explain. A few days ago Luke took a tumble and bumped his forehead. Actually he face planted in the bathroom, and earned his first goose-egg. I tried to take a picture to document the occasion, but it never bruised enough to be visible. Darn thick skulls. When it happened, I was torn. On one hand, I don't want to be the sort of mom that over-reacts to every bump and scrape and turns her kids into wussy, nervous wrecks. One the other hand, I don't take head injuries lightly so I felt if there was a time to freak out, it might be now. In the end I called his pediatrician, told her what happened and she said he was probably fine. She told me some warning signs to watch out for, but if nothing worsened he would be OK. As I hoped, all was well and we moved on. I have to admit, I was kind of proud of my little guy. Yes, he cried, but he didn't freak out. He was back laughing and playing with his toys in no time. It was his first bump on the head which, to me, is just as important a milestone for a little boy as taking that first step or catching that first bug. Moms - what weird things do you consider milestones?

No comments:

Post a Comment